When my family moved to
I had a part-time job as a waiter in a Chinese restaurant. One time, when I was serving food to a middle-aged couple, the wife asked me how the food could be served so quickly. I told her that I had made sure they got their food quickly because I always respect the elderly. As soon as I said that, her face showed great displeasure. My manager, who happened to hear what I said, took me aside and gave me a long lecture about how sensitive(敏感) Americans are and how they dislike the description “old”. I then walked back to the table and apologized to the wife. After the couple heard my reason, they understood that the problem was caused by cultural differences, so they laughed and were no longer angry.
In my village in
However, in the
After that, I changed the way I had been with older people. It is not that I don’t respect them any more; I still respect them, but now I don’t show my feelings through words.
1. Jack brought the couple their food very fast because _______.
A. the manager asked him to do so
B. he respected the elderly
C. the couple wanted him to do so
D. he wanted more pay
2. When Jack called the couple “elderly”, they became _______.
3. In Jack’s hometown, _______.
A. people dislike being called “old”
B. people are proud of being old
C. many people reach the age of seventy or eighty
D. the elderly are the first to get food in restaurants
4. After this experience, Jack _______.
A. lost his job in the restaurant
B. made friends with the couple
C. no longer respected the elderly
D. changed his way with older people
5. Which of the following is TRUE?
A. The more Jack explained, the angrier the couple got.
B. Jack wanted to show his feelings through words after his experience.
C. The manager went back to the table and apologized to the couple.
D. From this experience, Jack learned more about American culture.
1. 选B。根据第2段中的I told her that I had made sure they got their food quickly because I always respect the elderly可知答案。
2. 选C。根据第2段中的As soon as I said that, her face showed great displeasure可知他们听到Jack称他们为老者时，一点也不高兴。
3. 选B。根据第3段中的In my village in China, people are proud of being old可知答案。
4. 选D。根据最后一段中的After that, I changed the way I had with older people可知答案。
5. 选D。根据第2段最后一句After the couple heard my reason, they understood that the problem was caused by cultural differences, so they laughed and were no longer angry可知A选项不对；根据文章最后一句but now I don’t show my feelings through words可知B选项不对；根据第2段中的I then waked back to the table and apologized to the wife 可知C 选项也不对，故正确答案为D。